Sunday, May 20, 2012

Summer is coming!

Things have been very busy for the last few months at my house. My daughters are finishing up school and I'm preparing for the few months that they will be home all day. I enjoy having the kids home, but we despise the incredibly hot heat. So we've been enjoying going to the park and getting outside while we still can. I had forgotten how relaxing it can be to go to the park and lay on the grass for a while. Back in May I got some not fun news from my doctor that my liver has decided it doesn't want to function properly anymore. So we've been doing tests and put me on new medications to try to help. We are still not sure what is causing it to be a sad enlarged liver of grumpiness, but I've not given up on us finding out the cause and working on getting it back to a happier healthier liver. Until we know what the cause is I'm concentrating on putting good things in my body, so I'm not over working my liver trying to get rid of junk that I don't need. So lots of healthy food, juices, milk, and water. I've cut back my coffee a ton as it really seems to bother my digestive system now and it doesn't taste the same. I often have this strange taste in my mouth now, so certain foods just don't appeal to me. I like to think it's just God's way of helping me not eat things I don't need. It's so true that if you put garbage in your body you're going to get garbage out. I am hoping that by putting good things in I'll have more energy and be able to be a bit happier. During all of this time I've still been painting and knitting up a storm. Just because life throws you a curve doesn't mean you have to stop chugging along the road. Sometimes you have to just slow down a bit to deal with the curve.
I finished this painting recently. It's called, Max and Monster. I was working on it the day after Maurice Sendack had passed away. I was feeling a bit sad that we would never get anymore wonderful stories or art from Maurice. Where The Wild Things Are is to me one of the best books and stories written in the last couple of decades. It pleased me as a child and then as an adult encouraged me to create the art I wanted to make. As I was painting this character appeared and I realized he was the adult version of Max from Where The Wild Things Are. As I was working on it I thought how great it would be to do a children's book of my own. So I'm working on that some more. And I'm also doing some fun illustrations like this...
It had been a while since I did any real illustrations instead of just a painting. It was fun to work on and I'm planning on doing more in the future. For those of you thinking about doing things or waiting for the right time, the time is now! Jump in and do it! It's never to late to do anything your heart desires! Remember the most important rule of art and life that is the number one thing for everyone, HAVE FUN! <3

1 comment:

violette said...

I hope you feel better soon Rusty - so glad that you are eating more healthily! Have you considered going Gluten free? It might help your digestive system healing and ultimately your liver.
I love your art - it really speaks to me. Just wanted to let you know how much in enjoyed your guest blogpost on Samie's blog!

Love, Violette